4.24.2007

And we're back!

So the festival "wrapped" (as they say in the biz) Sunday night. It was a pretty cool experience, interesting to be so involved in such a big production, and I got to see Deewar, which was amazing.

But I know you don't read this blog cause you care about me, you read it because....actually I have no idea why. Anyway, sorry for being away for a while, it won't happen often. In that vein, I would like to post some stuff sent by all you great (six) readers!

1. Ken Burns Hates Mexicans is a great blog not only for the obvious reasons, but because I think its the first blog ever to link here, like ever! A friend's of CG and based out of Echo Park its a site I'm going to keep reading because I'm down. He has a recent post about the latest THE F-IN WAR (Subtitle: These 17 hours are not meant to be comprehensive) and the hiring of well-known Chicano documentarian Hector Galan that points to the work of Defend the Honor on this issue. Check it out!

2. I don't agree with the argument made here about the irrelevancy of the NBA playoffs to mainstream America, but it is an interesting view and the comments section has a good exchange. I think its funny that the photo along with the post is of Kobe because here in Los Angeles you KNOW its the playoffs, even with this current group. I remember interviewing the head of programming for the American Cinematheque and him telling me during late April and May they usually had a noticeable drop off in attendance. Then again, this was during the three-peat years and as EV (who sent this post) said today, there probably won't be any playoff ball in LA this time next week...

3. SS told me about this amazing, amazing goal Lionel Messi scored a few days ago in the Copa Del Rey where he breaks down nearly half the team from the center of the field:

Obviously, the Maradona/World Cup comparisons are not over-hyped.

4. Yes FN, myspace has jumped the shark. Soon you won't be able to become president of the World Bank without having a myspace page AND personal blog. By the way, I'm half-way there World Bank board, keep me in mind!

5. It might not be true, but AT sends this angry, sad rant from the Best of Craigslist that reminds us to Fuck this Fucking Fucked War lead by the Fuckhead in Chief.

6. Okay, last thing from me: George McGovern has responded to my prediction regarding Cheney's eventual departure and up-ed it a Bush! From his Los Angeles Times Op-Ed:

The Vice President spoke with contempt of my '72 campaign, but he might do well to recall that I began that effort with these words: "I make one pledge above all others — to seek and speak the truth." We made some costly tactical errors after winning the nomination, but I never broke my pledge to speak the truth. That is why I have never felt like a loser since 1972. In contrast, Cheney and Bush have repeatedly lied to the American people.

It is my firm belief that the Cheney-Bush team has committed offenses that are worse than those that drove Nixon, Vice President Spiro Agnew and Atty. Gen. John Mitchell from office after 1972. Indeed, as their repeated violations of the Constitution and federal statutes, as well as their repudiation of international law, come under increased consideration, I expect to see Cheney and Bush forced to resign their offices before 2008 is over.

McGovern is a kind of a hero of mine, but I don't know about Bush being forced to resign before the end of his term. Homeboy says he doesn't CARE that people hate/disagree with everything he says and does. I don't think he's talked to a non-military public audience in MONTHS. He is so arrogant, entitled, callous, and delusional that it will take nothing short of a battalion to remove him willingly from office. It is kind of like saying the Lakers are going to beat the Suns this year. It could happen, I hope it happens, but it's a kind of crazy dream.

No more extremely long posts like this for a while, but I just wanted to point it out. With the end of one project and the avoidance of the next: the blog is back.