5.10.2007

About that fire


On Tuesday I tried (again) to get my car radio finally fixed and ended up (again) just having lunch with AT. Driving back down Los Feliz Blvd I saw cops diverting traffic from Griffith Park. I even saw some hipster Observatory bus driver outside his bus in a left turn lane with his hands up in the air asking what to do. Then I went home to grade midterms as nearly a fifth of Griffith Park burned. I knew it was bad, but I didn't really notice till I went to the Ralph's on the corner and could see the HILL ON FIRE much like in this photo (from the LA Times link above):


There were tons of helicopters, fire trucks, and news vans. There were evacuations, not our neighborhood, not right next door, but close.


We went out on the roof to take a peak at it only to find 5 people quietly already up there (one filming it on his camera). There was a kind of apocalyptic feel to the evening, and some worrying about not having a kitty evacuation plan, but everything was okay. At least it felt that way; like all fires, it was hypnotic.